Saturday, October 22, 2011

Down And Out Birthday

A few years back we were struggling to keep our heads above water living in Dallas, to say we were living check to check is putting it mildly...One thing I found out during those lean years is, you never stop celebrating birthdays just because you're down and out ....At least you don't when mom's, grandma's and Aunts are still around...they just get more complicated,,,You have to let them think you had a cake even if you didn't,,,,.Anyway, we were living in another state, was broke, no home phone the car was tore up and living on the edge .. it was close to my birthday.....Soooo, this is my oldest daughters account of the phone conversation with her grandma from a pay phone ,,, and what she thought about it,,,,

I remember one time I had called her when we lived in Dallas (this one was a good memory) it was a few days before your birthday... She told me I should make you one of those Lemon pies you like. I told her I would like to. Hell, I can remember we barley had enough food to eat, much less bake a pie from scratch!! Well she started telling me step by step how to do it and how much of this and how much of that you put in it. I'm just listening to her thinking "I'm at a damn pay phone half a mile from the house, no pen and paper and really no means to fix it, and she is really telling me how to make this damn pie!!!!" lmao I just let her think I was gonna fix it but I thought that was funny

My daughter didn't bake me the pie, she baked me a cake instead. My little sister had mailed a box to her for my birthday. The box contained everything to make a cake, too many candles, some dried dead flowers, black balloons and some wrinkle cream among other gag gifts fitting for someone turning forty. My oldest daughter learned a lot in those hard years and thank God she got my sense of humor about life and it's ups and downs.. and I have to say she also learned even though times are hard,...it don't mean you have to stop laughing.... After all... without laughter what is there?

No comments: